Kelly Casey Legal Nurse Consultant
Kelly Casey is a registered nurse. She joined the Padberg Appelbaum Knepper law firm as a Legal Nurse Consultant in 2002. In her more than 20 years with the firm, she has reviewed and advised on more than 2,000 medical malpractice claims, as well as managed all medical records. Kelly also prepares cases, conducts medical research, and acts as the liaison with expert witnesses.
Kelly graduated from Jewish Hospital School of Nursing, now Goldfarb School of Nursing, in 1991. She then worked for six years as a clinical nurse at Barnes-Jewish Hospital on the telemetry, general medicine and surgical floors. Prior to joining the Padberg Appelbaum Knepper team, Kelly worked as a Nurse Case Manager for five years at Missouri Baptist Hospital where she directed and collaborated with staff nurses and physicians on patient care, intensity of service, and discharge planning for pediatric, neurology, cardiac, obstetrics, intensive / critical care, rehabilitation, oncology and emergency room services. Her role as a case manager also included reviewing patient medical records when medical mismanagement was a concern to determine if they warranted peer review.
A St. Louis native, Kelly enjoys traveling and watching Cardinals’ games with her husband, and spending time with their three children. She is also active in her community and volunteers at her church and Marian Middle School.
Professional & Community Involvment
- Legal Nurse Consultant, Attendee
- Marian Middle School, Tutor and Mentor
- North County Labor Club, Member
- BJC Healthcare
- Nurse Case Manager, Missouri Baptist Hospital, 1997 – 2002
- Medical Surgical Nurse and Unit Secretary, Barns Jewish Hospital, 1991 – 1997
Published Works & Presentations
- “Alternate Rolls in Nursing,” University of Missouri St. Louis
- “Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I present the nursing documentation,” St. Johns Mercy Medical Center
- “Nursing Documentation Pitfalls,” Mercy Hospital, St. Louis
- Speaker at Leadership in Nursing 6410, Webster University